The Underground The Hague, is a monthly paper for the international community in the city launched by Simon Branson Harper, a contagiously passionate entrepreneur who cherished the vision of this project since she was a young child. I have contributed this light-hearted take on trends for 2012 for the January issue.
So here you have it
A girl’s 2012 trend guide simplified:
Now that the Netherlands will have its own edition of Vogue, the world’s ultimate fashion magazine, there is no excuse to stay uninformed about what’s in, what out and what to keep.
Forget about minimalism, wave good bye to your boyfriend jeans it is all about femininity, sophistication and subtle references to the roaring twenties.
1. Go prints. From ethnic to subtle floral and anything in between. Bold enough to try pattern on pattern? By all means.
2. Go colour. Pastel –for the more reserved ones, and strong citrusy hues like lemon yellow, mandarin and orange for bold at heart.
3. Go sport couture. Logical, right? It is the Olympic year, after all
7. Say yes to a leather summer jacket. But not just any. It has to be silky soft, in light pastel colours or stronger hues with ¾ sleeve.
8. Pair your new short leather jacket with slouchy, oversize trousers
9. Do not say no to lace.
10. Invest in a structured bag. Preferably in exotic leather. It will become your perfect companion for many years to come.
Staying on top of trends is important, but more important is to adapt these trends to your own style. Because as Coco Chanel once said “ La mode se démodé, le style jamais” Fashion goes out of fashion , style is eternal.